How To Switch Everything From Your Old iPhone And Set Up A New iPhone
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Table of contents
You have a new iPhone, which is great. However, transferring everything to that new iPhone can be daunting. You have all of your apps, photos and data on your current handset. Now you need to switch it all to the new phone.
Don’t worry. Help is at hand with our easy to follow guide that will seamlessly lead you through the process to set up a new iPhone.
How to set up a new iPhone
Going through the process step-by-step will help ensure that your new iPhone is set up correctly.
Update the existing operating system
Firstly make sure you are running the latest version of iOS on your current iPhone. If you haven’t done this in a while it will ensure you are running the latest operating system for that model. You can also use our guide to update to the latest version of iOS on iPhone. If you are unsure of the iPhone model that you have then you can check here to find out.
Backup the existing iPhone
When migrating to a new iPhone the process begins with a backup of your existing data. The backup can be done either through iCloud or via a computer.
How to backup an iPhone to iCloud
You may or may not have automatic iCloud updates switched on. If you do then you can use the most recent version. However it is a good idea to take a backup now that you’re going to transfer all of the data on your iPhone across.
Backing up your iPhone to iCloud ensures that your data, settings, and apps are safely stored in the cloud. Follow these steps to back up your iPhone to iCloud:
- Connect your iPhone to a Wi-Fi network.
- Go to “Settings” on your iPhone’s home screen.
- Tap on your name at the top of the menu to access your Apple ID settings.
- Scroll down and select “iCloud.”
- Tap on “iCloud Backup.”
- Toggle on the “iCloud Backup” option.
- Tap on “Back Up Now” to start the backup process.
- Wait for the backup to complete. The time required depends on the size of your data and the speed of your internet connection.
- Ensure that the backup is successful by going to “Settings” > “Your Name” > “iCloud” > “iCloud Backup.” You should see the time and date of the most recent backup.
With iCloud backup enabled, your iPhone will automatically back up your data when it’s connected to Wi-Fi, locked, and charging. This ensures that your data remains safe and can be easily restored if needed.
How to backup an iPhone to a computer
If you prefer to back up your iPhone to your computer instead of iCloud, you can easily do so using iTunes or Finder (for macOS Catalina and later). Follow these steps to back up your iPhone to a computer:
- Connect your iPhone to your computer using a USB cable.
- If you’re using a Windows PC, open iTunes. If you’re using a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, open Finder.
- In iTunes or Finder, you should see your iPhone icon. Click on it to select your device.
- On the Summary page, you’ll see the “Backups” section. Ensure that the “This computer” option is selected.
- Click on “Back Up Now” to start the backup process. You may also choose to encrypt your backup by selecting the “Encrypt iPhone backup” option. This will save your passwords and Health data.
- Wait for the backup to complete. The time required depends on the size of your data.
- Once the backup is complete, you can verify it by going to iTunes or Finder and checking the backup details.
Backing up your iPhone to a computer provides an additional level of security and control over your data. It allows you to easily restore your iPhone if needed, even without an internet connection.
Set up the new iPhone
Now that you have backed up all of the data on your old iPhone you are ready to move to the new iPhone. If you are unsure of the iPhone model that you have you can check here.
Setting up a new iPhone is an easy process that ensures you can start using your device quickly. Here are the steps to set up a new iPhone:
- Turn on your iPhone by pressing the power button.
- Select your preferred language and region.
- Connect to a Wi-Fi network to proceed with the setup.
- Choose whether to enable Location Services, which allows apps to use your location data.
- Sign in with your Apple ID or create a new one if you don’t have it.
- Set up Face ID or Touch ID for enhanced security.
- Restore from iCloud backup or set up as a new iPhone. If you have a backup, you can restore your old settings, apps, and data.
At this stage you can select your iCloud backup or transfer the data from your computer backup.
Once the backup is underway in the case of iCloud or completed from a computer, you can proceed to the next step to make any changes to your existing settings:
- Set up Siri, Apple’s voice assistant.
- Customize your Display & Brightness, Sounds & Haptics, and other settings according to your preferences.
- Install additional apps from the App Store.
- Set a passcode to protect your device.
- Choose whether to enable iCloud backup to store your data securely.
That’s it! Your new iPhone is now set up and ready to use. Enjoy your new device and explore all the features and apps it offers.
How to transfer data and set up a new iPhone conclusion
Transferring data from an old iPhone and set up a new iPhone is an easy task when done in the correct way. Following the steps above will seamlessly transition from an old iPhone to a new iPhone.
If you need any iPhone repairs to your old handset then pop by our Tech Resolvers shop or get in touch. In this way you can repair your old iPhone so that you could sell it. If you need assistance along the way when you set up a new iPhone then get in touch with our Apple iPhone Norwich repair shop. We’ll be only too happy to help.